This is our second entry in our Tapping our Trusted Partners series, where we invite one of our closest partners and fellow entrepreneurs to explain more about their services and how they help businesses like yours thrive. Julianna Lopez is the Business Development & Project Manager at Grey Sky Films; a passion-driven video production agency whose focus is to create content for businesses and brands. In this blog, she explains the impact of video marketing in today’s social-media driven world.
Without further ado, learn about the Benefits and Best Practices of Video Marketing below.
By: Julianna Lopez from Grey Sky Films
Video has always been an effective tool for businesses to use to train employees, to advertise via commercials and television media buys, and to record important events. Today, video has evolved to become so much more immersive and necessary for achieving your main business goals and objectives. It’s a major marketing tool crucial for developing marketing strategies, no matter how large or small your business is. Facebook’s Engineering Director, Srinivas Narayanan said, “If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is a library.” And if that’s the case, why wouldn’t you take advantage of the opportunity to provide that much information to your target audience and customers in one engaging, entertaining format? We’ll take a closer look at the benefits of video marketing as well some of the best practices for incorporating video into your overall marketing strategy.
What are the Benefits of Video Marketing?
There should always be strategic goals behind creating and posting video beyond hoping your target audience will enjoy and engage with the content. These statistics are a great reminder of the immense power of video marketing:
- 85% of all internet users in the US watch online video content monthly on their mobile devices.
- 54% of consumers want to see more video content from brands and businesses they support.
- After watching a marketing video, 65% of executives say they’ve navigated to a vendor’s site and 39% say they’ve called a vendor directly.
- Companies that use video as a part of their marketing strategy have a 27% higher clickthrough rate and a 34% higher conversion rate than those that don’t.
While these stats should be proof enough that video marketing is incredibly effective, it’s clear that internet users are going to continue to seek out more video content from brands and businesses. According to the 2018 State of Social Video Marketer Trends report, 73% of consumers claim they’ve been influenced by a brand’s social media presence when making purchase decisions. More importantly, videos – as opposed to text or images – are consumers’ favorite type of content to see from brands on social media.
Video Content on Social Media
Yes, social media is saturated – some might say oversaturated – with content, but video content is the medium of choice brands and industry influencers produce to keep their audiences and customers engaged. Let’s take a look at the strength and value of video on social:
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine after Google.
- 45% of people watch over an hour of video on Facebook or YouTube each week.
- 82% of Twitter users watch video content on the site.
- Social video generates 1200% more social shares than text and image content combined.
- Videos on Facebook receive on average 135% organic reach than on photos. Facebook puts more emphasis on video content to increase the frequency of video appearing in users’ feeds over any other content posted on the site.
YouTube is the leader among all video and entertainment websites, including Netflix and Hulu, and the type of video content people consume on the site is varied, including tutorials, lifestyle videos, documentaries, podcasts, and compilations. Another powerhouse platform for video content is Instagram, which is on track to become the fastest-growing social media channel that uses video to drive purchases. With 87% of marketing professionals turning to video to increase engagement and brand awareness as well as drive sales, incorporating video into your marketing strategy, especially your social media-marketing strategy, is essential. Although the majority businesses and brands are including video in their marketing strategy, many of them don’t take advantage of the built-in analytics tools each platform offers or external analytics programs available. In fact, only 35% of businesses are using intermediate or advanced analytics to measure the performance of their video marketing content, both as a stand-alone analysis as well as how well their video content is performing in comparison to the other types of content they create and share.
How Does Video Perform vs. Other Types of Content
Video is the clear champion on social media, but how does it stack up against text and images on your website? Video still wins. Video keeps visitors on your site and more engaged than any other kind of content. In fact, the average user spends 88% more time on websites that have video content compared to those that don’t. Not only is video more engaging, but it’s also the best medium for communicating information that your visitors retain long after they’ve left your site. When both text and video are available on a webpage, 72% of people say they prefer to learn about the products and services offered from video; product videos, demos, and explainer content are all effective types of video content to best educate visitors and potential customers. You’re not restricted to using video solely on your native webpages either. Studies have shown that blog posts that incorporate videos attract three times as many inbound links than blog posts without videos. And while it’s great to get creative with when and where you’re posting video content, there are some best practices to keep in mind.
What Are Some Best Practices for Video Marketing?
So, you’re all set to start incorporating video into your marketing campaigns –which is fantastic! You might be thinking… now what? We have a couple of best practices to help nail down the specifics for your video marketing campaign:
- Know what you’re trying to achieve with the video content.
- Plan your video marketing budget – including any possible advertising and boosting you want to do – before you start planning out the creative scope for the content.
- Clearly define the target audience so you can decide on the best format, messaging, creative content, and platform for publishing your video.
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind when you’re creating video content to share on social media:
- Video ads shouldn’t be longer than 15 seconds, but video content in general should typically be 60 seconds or less.
- The majority of videos are watched without sound, so using callouts and subtitles is key.
- Around 90% of videos are watched on mobile, so making sure your videos play well on mobile phones and tablets is essential.
Video marketing continues to be a prime tactic for reaching and engaging with audiences, customers, and fans. Understanding the best ways to craft your video content for maximum reach and effectiveness is crucial for businesses. With the help of professionals in the industry, you can create the best video content possible and strategize ways to repurpose that content to get the best possible ROI on your investment long after you shoot the footage for your original campaign.